1 Sept 2009

Ghost Freedom, Part 1: The man


 Part 1 | Part 2
And they think I'm mad. Insane, they called me. Delusional.

* * *

I was just outside of my house, smoking, enjoying the cool night air. Calm evening, it was. The moon was full and bright, piercing through the almost non-existent clouds with ease. I was alone at home that night. Or, I might have been alone for a long time, I can't quite recall. You can't separate the days, the weeks and the months one from another, when you live through them the exact same way. The smoke from my own cigarette was surrounding me like a vague and fragile barrier, raised against God knows what. The forest around was anything but silent - the crickets, the birds and all the other kinds of known and unknown creatures, finding shelter amidst the trees and the bushes were making sure silence was kept at bay. And yet, it felt strangely devoid of sound. Which is how a forest at night feels, really, people who had experienced it will agree with me.

There was a place, far away, called the Chamber of Avici. I've been there and I'll tell you about it some other time.

So, there I was: enjoying my cigarette and the silent noise of the forest, when I felt - yes, I felt - another sound. It was quiet at first, but it kept getting louder and louder with blazing speed. After a while it was all I could hear. A single high note, shattering my skull and piercing my brain with its inhuman frequency. I remained as calm as could, though my instincts urged me to run into the house and burrow my head under sheets and pillows. However, I knew that would've been the wrong thing to do - this wasn't the first time I heard that sound. And I knew what would follow.

Soon, the man came.

He was completely naked, his smooth skin reflecting the moonlight in a strange way, that made him look like he's radiating a small yellowish glow. He was tall, very tall, taller than me for sure, with bald head. His body was muscular and well-built - "perfect" is a good adjective for describing it, not showing any signs of weaknesses or human flaws. Only his eye... his left eye. I was not sure whether it was blind or not, but it was completely... white. His other eye, however, was dark brown, almost black and was starring at me. He stood in the meadow in front of my house, close to me, so that all his features could be seen clearly, and yet far enough to be just at the edge of the light, emanating from my house. His face looked calm and concentrated, as he continued to stare at my direction

I knew very well that he didn't pose a threat. To me, at least. I also knew that he does not speak. I knew we would go for a walk. And there my knowledge ended.

I knew these things, because in the past few days (or weeks, or months. Or years.) I had met him. He had showed me things, strange things, of which I was yet to make any sense. My theory was, that he was testing me, but why - I did not know. He raised his hand in a gesture, which urged me to hurry and so I did. He turned his back on me and started to walk slowly and I followed.

At the end of our little trip it all became clear for me. But, wait, I should tell you about it first...

TO BE CONTINUED
Part 1 | Part 2



0 comments: